Rising Female Death Rate | Page 7 | Research and Development | Forum

A A A

Please consider registering

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS
Rising Female Death Rate
June 13, 2017
1:51 pm
Jeff
Forum Posts: 1774

"It's not easy to express the inexpressible," he answered with a laugh. "Holmes is a little too scientific for my tastes - it approaches to cold-bloodedness. I could imagine his giving a friend a little pinch of the latest vegetable alkaloid, not out of malevolence, you understand, but simply out of a spirit of inquiry in order to have an accurate idea of the effects. To do him justice, I think that he would take it himself with the same readiness. He appears to have a passion for definite and exact knowledge."

From "A Study in Scarlet", by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1891

"O ye that love mankind! Ye that dare oppose, not only the tyranny, but the tyrant, stand forth!" Thomas Paine 

June 13, 2017
6:11 pm
Jeff

The headline of the story that follows is "The suicide rate is increasing. Why is that?"

It uses the meme of the question mark, which is a companion to the words "mystery", "baffled" and "puzzled", which are used whenever anyone in the wholly-controlled-and-coopted Political, Academic, Scientific and Media establishments wants to lie about, well, basically anything.

How it works is, the headline asks the question, and then the article tells you What To Think. It's particularly curious because he sums up - way down after all the bullshiting and tap-dancing - with "I’m sorry to say I really don’t know what explains these increasing rates."

And the headline hedges by saying "increasing", versus "increasing exponentially".

Here's more hedging:

It’s also important to realize suicide attempts are a spectrum — some are more serious than others. Many girls take an overdose and then immediately tell somebody about it. These are often called suicide gestures and can be quite impulsive.”

A 50% increase in girl-spazzdom, I see. Fascinating, Doctor, case closed!

When he finally gets down to what’s driving it:

There are a few other things to keep in mind. Prescriptions of anti-depressants have increased dramatically, particularly of drugs in the class we call selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors (SSRIs). Common brand names for these are Prozac, Paxil, Celexa, and Zoloft. There has been concern that, in the short term after starting them, SSRIs may actually increase thoughts about suicide in adolescents.”

It’s cheering he said that, because another insider-shill at a recent conference in Pittsburgh recently said “it’s because people stopped taking their antidepressants.”

But, if antidepressants are the driver, why would it be way higher in girls, than boys? Oh, yeah, I forgot, “because hysterical girls over-report suicide attempts”, like he told me.

Here's more anything-but-the-kitchen-sink chaff, thrown to obscure the real driver:

"Finally, a child may not know which drugs are truly dangerous. I have seen very serious suicide attempts by children who take overdoses of what we know to be innocuous medications but the child does not."

Kids – most especially girls -  getting exponentially stupider”, says the practicing Medical Doctor, with a straight face, to the readership.

Talking head, final ruling:

"I’m sorry to say I really don’t know what explains these increasing rates, except to point out the overall rate of suicide for the whole population has also increased to some extent; it was 10.5 deaths per 100,000 persons in 1999 and is now 13 per 100,000. Middle-aged males have seen a dramatic jump in rates. It appears to me that, for many possible reasons, there is more social anxiety and depression in America, which in turn increases suicide rates. Adolescent girls are feeling this in particular. You might say our entire society is issuing a cry for help."

Tranlsation: “I don’t know…but it’s EVERYBODY.” Can you see how he’s using a sweeping generalization to take your investigation away from the girls, which is where the case can be cracked? And how he shift from discussing the driver to discussing those afflicted by the driver? It's careful, clever misdirection.

To some, anyway.

And what's with "middle aged males have seen a dramatic jump in rates"? When this is the truth (from 2016):

"But there is something even more surprising and strange in this report. The suicide rate has increased for women in particular during this period of time, narrowing the gap in the suicide rate between men and women (men have always taken their lives more often than women). The suicide rate is up 63% for women aged 45-65 and up 200% for girls aged 10-14."

And this is the truth (from 2016):

"Middle-aged men in the 45 to 60 range experienced a 43 percent increase in suicide deaths from 1997 to 2014."

It's careful, clever misdirection. 

To some, anyway.

Middle aged women had a rate increase 20% higher than their male counterparts.

And he took care to highlight the men.

April 11, 2017 - The suicide rate is increasing. Why is that?

Christopher Johnson, MD - Conditions

Those of us who work in pediatric intensive care have frequent encounters with the problem of suicide and attempted suicide. It has seemed to me for some years that the numbers are increasing, and this has been shown to be the case. After years of declining, the suicide rate in our country has been increasing, now at about 125 percent of the rate of several decades ago.

This increase accelerated after 2006. Although all age groups showed an increase, the rate among women, particularly adolescent girls, took a notable jump. In 2012 suicide was the second leading cause of death in adolescents aged 12 to 19 years, accounting for more deaths in this age group than cancer, heart disease, influenza, pneumonia, diabetes Mellitus, human immunodeficiency virus, and stroke combined.

Here are some recent statistics of women from the CDC (Centers for Disease Control), although they don’t quite break out adolescents they way I would like.

Adslot's refresh function: googletag.pubads().refresh([gptadslots[1]])

Actual suicide is just the tip of the iceberg, since, at least among adolescent girls who attempt it typically with drug overdose, there are as many as 90 attempts for every death. Since a large number of these attempts end up in the PICU, I’m not surprised we are seeing more and more of them come through our doors. A few other points are worth noting here. The success statistics for adolescent boys are unfortunately much higher because boys tend to use more violent means than girls, such as hanging, firearms, or automobiles.

However, although rates for boys are up slightly, they really haven’t changed much. It’s also important to realize suicide attempts are a spectrum — some are more serious than others. Many girls take an overdose and then immediately tell somebody about it. These are often called suicide gestures and can be quite impulsive. Some use the term “cry for help” to describe them. More ominous are children who carefully plan, such as by hoarding powerful drugs in secret and taking them in a setting where they won’t be found. They may leave a suicide note. I couldn’t find any data about whether these different categories are discordant in the rate increase, but I assume the two are tracking together.

(he assumes? He studies this for a living, and prepared formally for an article not the subject. That's hedging - ed)

Finally, a child may not know which drugs are truly dangerous. I have seen very serious suicide attempts by children who take overdoses of what we know to be innocuous medications but the child does not. Regardless of what category the attempt is, of course, the child needs mental health services subsequently. These days we find a child’s text messages to be very helpful. So why the increase in adolescent girls?

Presumably, suicide rates are rough and ready markers for rates of depression. Is teen depression increasing? A 2006 study says no, at least up until then. What about the last decade, since 2006 appears to be the year suicide rates inflected upward in adolescent girls. I did find a snapshot for 2015 from the CDC of the number of adolescents who experienced a major depressive episode during the year — girls were nearly 20 percent.

A recent study in Pediatrics, the journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics, found a nearly 50 percent increase in adolescent depression over the past 11 years. Mental health problems are notoriously difficult to study because of course, we have no definitive test for them — no blood test, no fancy brain scans. We mostly rely on surveys. Still, it does seem something changed about a decade ago, and this is probably reflected in the increase in suicide attempts among girls at roughly the same rate as the increase of major depression.

There are a few other things to keep in mind. Prescriptions of anti-depressants have increased dramatically, particularly of drugs in the class we call selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors (SSRIs). Common brand names for these are Prozac, Paxil, Celexa, and Zoloft. There has been concern that, in the short term after starting them, SSRIs may actually increase thoughts about suicide in adolescents. Another new development is social media. Teenagers, especially those in difficult home situations or who are socially isolated, are quite susceptible to bullying behavior, and cyberbullying has emerged as a new threat to such children. There have been several dramatic cases in the news about suicides following cyberbullying.

I’m sorry to say I really don’t know what explains these increasing rates, except to point out the overall rate of suicide for the whole population has also increased to some extent; it was 10.5 deaths per 100,000 persons in 1999 and is now 13 per 100,000. Middle-aged males have seen a dramatic jump in rates. It appears to me that, for many possible reasons, there is more social anxiety and depression in America, which in turn increases suicide rates. Adolescent girls are feeling this in particular. You might say our entire society is issuing a cry for help.

"O ye that love mankind! Ye that dare oppose, not only the tyranny, but the tyrant, stand forth!" Thomas Paine 

June 13, 2017
8:05 pm
Jeff

"And if all others accepted the lie which the Party imposed—if all records told the same tale—then the lie passed into history and became truth. ‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’ And yet the past, though of its nature alterable, never had been altered. Whatever was true now was true from everlasting to everlasting. It was quite simple. All that was needed was an unending series of victories over your own memory. ‘Reality control’, they called it: in Newspeak, ‘doublethink’."

George Orwell, from "1984"

2016 - But there is something even more surprising and strange in this report. The suicide rate has increased for women in particular during this period of time, narrowing the gap in the suicide rate between men and women (men have always taken their lives more often than women). The suicide rate is up 63% for women aged 45-65 and up 200% for girls aged 10-14.

2017 - Burden of physical health conditions linked to increased risk of suicide - Chronic illness, even in patients with no record of mental health problems, raises suicide risk substantially

The words "mystery", "baffled" and "puzzled" are memes, used, among numerous similar variants, whenever anyone in the wholly-controlled-and-coopted Political, Academic, Scientific and Media establishments wants to lie about, well, basically anting. Two of those variants are "surprised" and "strange".

That's why the first of the two quotes immediately above says "But there is something even more surprising and strange in this report." I think it's great how when they fit two of them in one sentence, for greater potency.

The second of the two quotes above is true, but it's what is known in the propaganda trade as "chaff" - a distraction, a ruse, a chimera. I'm to believe that adolescent girls have taken on 200% greater chronic illnesses of late? And their middle-aged mothers 63% more?

You'll notice that there's no mention of depression and its relation to suicide.

"Suicide continues to be a major driver of mortality in the United States. Each year, more than 45,000 people die by suicide and in the past 15 years, the suicide mortality rate has risen by an alarming 24%."

Where "continues to be" hedges, implies a flat line, in preparation for the grim news that follows, a 24% overall increase. And can you see how the 200% increase among adolescent girls is carefully unmentioned?

I wouldn't be so hard on them, but this is a scientific document, by people purporting to be studying the problem.

June 12, 2017 - Burden of physical health conditions linked to increased risk of suicide

Chronic illness, even in patients with no record of mental health problems, raises suicide risk substantially

Source: Elsevier

Summary:
A new study examines how illness plays a role in suicide risk. Researchers found that 17 physical health conditions, ailments such as back pain, diabetes, and heart disease, were associated with an increased risk of suicide. Two of the conditions -- sleep disorders and HIV/AIDS -- represented a greater than twofold increase, while traumatic brain injury made individuals nine times more likely to die by suicide.

Share:

Suicide continues to be a major driver of mortality in the United States. Each year, more than 45,000 people die by suicide and in the past 15 years, the suicide mortality rate has risen by an alarming 24%. A new study in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine examines how illness plays a role in suicide risk. Researchers found that 17 physical health conditions, ailments such as back pain, diabetes, and heart disease, were associated with an increased risk of suicide. Two of the conditions -- sleep disorders and HIV/AIDS -- represented a greater than twofold increase, while traumatic brain injury made individuals nine times more likely to die by suicide.

While the rates of other causes of death have declined in recent years, suicide continues to trend upwards across all ages and genders. Many people who die by suicide do not have a prior mental health diagnosis, which means that patients at an increased risk for self-harm are somehow being missed by the mainstream healthcare system. In an attempt to gain some insight into the disturbing rise in suicide rates and possible novel interventions, researchers examined whether there is a link between physical illness and suicide risk.

"These data represent among the first findings from areas across the U.S. documenting an increase in suicide risk for people with a variety of major physical health conditions," explained lead investigator Brian K. Ahmedani, PhD, LMSW, Director of Psychiatry Research, Behavioral Health Services Research Scientist, Center for Health Policy & Health Services Research, Henry Ford Health System, Detroit, MI. "As our nation's healthcare systems work diligently to provide the best care for their patients, these data help support the need for suicide prevention among those with a wide variety of physical health conditions."

This study included 2,674 individuals who died by suicide between 2000 and 2013 along with 267,400 controls matched on year and location in a case-control study across eight Mental Health Research Network healthcare systems. Seventeen of 19 medical conditions investigated were linked to an increased suicide risk: asthma, back pain, brain injury, cancer, congestive heart failure, chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder, diabetes, epilepsy, HIV/AIDS, heart disease, hypertension, migraine, Parkinson's disease, psychogenic pain, renal disorder, sleep disorders, and stroke.

While all of these conditions were associated with greater risk, some conditions showed a stronger association than others. For example, people with a traumatic brain injury were nine times more likely to die by suicide, while those with sleep disorders and HIV/AIDS were at a greater than twofold risk. Along with varying rates among conditions, having multiple physical health conditions also substantially increased risk.

"Although suicide risk appears to be pervasive across most physical health conditions, prevention efforts appear to be particularly important for patients with a traumatic brain injury, whose odds of suicide are increased nearly ninefold, even after adjusting for potential confounders," reported Dr. Ahmedani. "This is the first large, multisite study conducted within the general U.S. population demonstrating a significant, large-magnitude relationship between brain injury and suicide."

According to this study, targeted interventions in primary care and specialty care may be the key to preventing suicides. It's reported that 80% of individuals who die by suicide make a healthcare visit in the year before their death and that 50% go to the doctor within four weeks of dying by suicide. Because most these patients do not have a diagnosed mental health problem, limiting suicide prevention efforts to standard behavioral healthcare settings may miss many of the individuals at risk.

"Several conditions, such as back pain, sleep disorders, and traumatic brain injury were all associated with suicide risk and are commonly diagnosed, making patients with these conditions primary targets for suicide prevention," concluded Dr. Ahmedani. "Given that nearly every physical health condition was associated with suicide, widespread suicide prevention efforts in all healthcare settings seem warranted."

June 13, 2017
8:15 pm
Jeff

“Well, I have a trade of my own. I suppose I am the only one in the world. I'm a consulting detective, if you can understand what that is. Here in London we have lots of Government detectives and lots of private ones. When these fellows are at fault, they come to me, and I manage to put them on the right scent. They lay all the evidence before me, and I am generally able, by the help of my knowledge of the history of crime, to set them straight. There is a strong family resemblance about misdeeds, and if you have all the details of a thousand at your finger ends, it is odd if you can't unravel the thousand and first."

From "A Study in Scarlet", by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1891

It’s not as if the matter is not well documented:

June, 2012 - The findings revealed that the Smartphone Addiction Scale scores of females were significantly higher than those of males.

October 1, 2012 – They found that teenagers who used their cell phones after going to bed ... putting teens at increased risk for depression and suicidal thoughts.

November 5, 2013 – Internet Use May Up Self-harm, Suicide in At-Risk Youth - Medscape

October 9, 2014 – Association between problematic cellular phone use and suicide: the moderating effect of family function and depression.

Five hundred thirty-two adolescents (10.54%) had problematic CPU. The rates of suicidal ideation were 23.50% and 11.76% in adolescents with problematic CPU and without problematic CPU, respectively. The rates of suicidal attempts in both groups were 13.70% and 5.45%, respectively.

This study found that problematic cell phone use was associated with suicidal tendencies among all groups of adolescents.

(suicidal ideation increased by 11.74% and suicide attempts increased by 28% in the group afflicted with “problematic cell phone use” over the group not in the thrall of that compulsive addiction. - ed)

April 4, 2015 – Other research proposes a correlation between social-media use and increased depression and suicide. A 2012 article in the American Journal of Public Health noted that more people using the internet is positively correlated to a higher general population suicide rate.

(says it’s ‘social media’, but it’s ‘the internet’, period. Connection to it. The beam, the wavelength - ed)

2016 - 2016 - But there is something even more surprising and strange in this report. The suicide rate has increased for women in particular during this period of time, narrowing the gap in the suicide rate between men and women (men have always taken their lives more often than women). The suicide rate is up 63% for women aged 45-65 and up 200% for girls aged 10-14.

January 27, 2016 – Can smartphone-assisted therapy help prevent suicide?

June 15, 2016 – Korea - A recent study by Seoul St. Mary’s Hospital, in fact, found that Korean women are twice more likely to be addicted to smart devices as their male counterparts. 

July 27, 2016 - Suicide is a leading cause of death for Nebraska teenagers and a new study finds Internet use is among the top contributing risk factors.

August 16, 2016 – Your Phone is the New Frontline for Suicide Prevention 

September 10, 2016 - Suicides continue to steadily increase, and experts don't know why

June 13, 2017
9:25 pm
Jeff

The very-current article that follows is headlined “Death rate from Alzheimer's disease in the US has risen by 55%, says CDC

Here’s some hedging from the article:

“the rise in the number of deaths could be due to the increasing size of the older population in the US, greater diagnosis of the disease in its earlier stages, better reporting by physicians and fewer deaths from other causes among the elderly, such as heart disease.

Here’s some more hedging from the article:

“Prince believes the rise in the number of deaths can in part be attributed to the fact that there is more knowledge about Alzheimer's disease, more doctors are reporting patients with the disease and more deaths are being attributed to it, as symptoms become more widely understood -- particularly in the later stages, as the CDC report suggests.

"But we are seeing a genuine increase (as well)," he told CNN.”

Well, if that’s true, why doesn’t the quoted professor of Epidemiological Psychiatry at King's College London in the UK go on to mention any possible drivers for the genuine increase? That being a 55% increase in the Alzheimer’s Death rate over 15 years. Most confusingly, the article goes on immediately to say that “The number of those patients dying at home from the neurodegenerative condition also rose, from 14% to 25% over the same time period studied, 2009-2014.”

Oh, well, five years, fifteen years, I’m so confused and ensheepled!

Please read this with me, and tell your friends – because the folks at CNN and the professor of Epidemiological Psychiatry at King's College London in the UK obviously aren’t going to be helping us:

1990 - Ionizing radiation can impair the integrity of the blood brain barrier (BBB).

1998 - Whole Brain Radiation causes an early increase in Blood-Brain Barrier permeability, which produces perivascular edema and microvascular collapse. The interference with microcirculation affects blood flow and energy supply to the tissue, resulting in structural damage on an ischemic/dysmetabolic basis.”

2017 - JAMA, re: Alzheimer’s:

“(The blood-brain barrier) becomes leaky, letting in undesirable agents and hindering the clearing of the amyloid. amyloid accumulates in the brain, but there is a system that vigorously clears amyloid and other toxins. An important role is played by the blood vessels of the brain, the endothelial cells of the blood brain barrier and also its pericytes. it is the (dysfunction) of of this vascular system that is the first step that predisposes you to the accumulation of amyloid. It also reduces the oxygen and glucose supply to the brain: sugars, energy, metabolites."

May 26, 2017 - Death rate from Alzheimer's disease in the US has risen by 55%, says CDC

The rate of people dying from Alzheimer's disease in the United States rose by 55% over a 15-year period, new data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows.

The number of those patients dying at home from the neurodegenerative condition also rose, from 14% to 25% over the same time period studied, 2009-2014.

The report also looked at Alzheimer's caregivers -- relatives and friends taking care of an Alzheimer's patient in the home -- and found that the caregivers would benefit from support such as education and help from case management services.

"Millions of Americans and their family members are profoundly affected by Alzheimer's disease," CDC Acting Director Dr. Anne Schuchat said in a statement. "As the number of older Americans with Alzheimer's disease rises, more family members are taking on the emotionally and physically challenging role of caregiver than ever before."

Alzheimer's disease is the most common cause of dementia, causing symptoms including memory loss, impaired language, difficulties in concentrating and decision making, confusion, or disorientation.

The disease mainly affects people over the age of 65 and is the sixth leading cause of death in the US, according to the Alzheimer's Association. More than 5 million Americans are living with the disease. That number is predicted to rise to 16 million by 2050.

Researchers at the CDC analyzed data from death certificates at the state and county level in the US to see where Alzheimer's disease had been reported as the underlying cause of death.

Between 1999 and 2014, the death rate of people with Alzheimer's disease rose from 16.5 deaths per 100,000 people to 25.4 deaths per 100,000, according to the data published in the CDC's weekly morbidity and mortality report. 

The counties with the highest rates were in the Southeast, the Midwest and the West Coast.

The findings suggest the rise in the number of deaths could be due to the increasing size of the older population in the US, greater diagnosis of the disease in its earlier stages, better reporting by physicians and fewer deaths from other causes among the elderly, such as heart disease.

But as people continue to live longer, their chances of having Alzheimer's disease increases, as does the likelihood of someone needing to care for them.

"Caregivers and patients can benefit from programs that include education about Alzheimer's disease, how to take care of themselves and their loved one, and case management to lessen the burden of care," said Dr. Christopher Taylor, lead author of the study and an epidemiologist from the CDC's National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion.

"Supportive interventions can lessen the burden for caregivers and improve the quality of care for people with Alzheimer's disease," he said.

As for the patients themselves, there is currently no cure or treatment for Alzheimer's, but experts recommend seeing a doctor as soon as symptoms begin. Early diagnosis can help patients and families prepare, the report recommends.

"This is one of a series of papers over the last two to three years from Europe and North America projecting similar trends in high-income countries," said Martin Prince, professor of Epidemiological Psychiatry at King's College London in the UK. "This is a worldwide phenomenon."

Prince believes the rise in the number of deaths can in part be attributed to the fact that there is more knowledge about Alzheimer's disease, more doctors are reporting patients with the disease and more deaths are being attributed to it, as symptoms become more widely understood -- particularly in the later stages, as the CDC report suggests.

"But we are seeing a genuine increase (as well)," he told CNN.

Prince also agreed with the recommendation that more insight and support be given to family members looking after people with Alzheimer's and for earlier diagnosis so that patients and families can make their choices together.

"This creates different possibilities ... and to construct systems of care that suit them," said Prince. "When diagnosis occurs late, it's much harder for everybody."

June 22, 2017
2:44 pm
Jeff

"You remember hat beside the dead man?"

"Yes," said Holmes; "by John Underwood and Sons, 129, Camberwell Road."

Greyson looked quite crestfallen. "I had no idea that you noticed that," he said. "Have you been there?"

"No."

"Ha!" cried Greyson, in a relieved voice; "you should never neglect a chance, however small it may seem."

"To a great mind, nothing is little," remarked Holmes sententiously.

From "A Study in Scarlet", by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1883

The words “mystery”, “baffled” and “puzzled” are memes, used, among numerous similar variants, whenever anyone in the wholly-controlled-and-coopted Political, Academic, Scientific and Media establishments wants to lie about, well, basically anything.

That’s why one of the articles I’ve appended below reads “suicide rates have tripled among young girls between ages ten and 14. Experts don’t know why the troubling trend is happening, but some say an earlier onset of puberty, a lack of resources, and societal expectations may all be factors.”

Another story below is headlined "Youth suicide rates are rising. School and the Internet may be to blame."

You’ll see how they carefully avoided the big Tell, that it hits the girls the worst. And why didn’t they mention that early-onset-of-puberty driver?

The story focuses on "Youth", and carefully avoids mentioning that suicide also rising sharply among middle-aged white people, who are not in school. Particularly women.

That article goes on to talk about bullying, and seasonality, and upsetting internet viewing.

Another is headlined “Suicide rates on the rise in US, especially in rural areas, CDC reports”.

It talks about the financial crisis, social isolation and opioids as drivers, but it doesn’t make any mention of bullying, seasonality, or upsetting internet viewing, or school. 

A story documenting a doubling of suicides among women in prison chalks it up to the fact that “reforms proposed 10 years ago to prevent vulnerable women killing themselves were not implemented.”

If we know that “the CDC found that men are about four times likelier to commit suicide”, why no mention of vulnerable men, or an increase in male suicide in prison?

Each story has concocted its own cocktail of plausible-deniability excuses designed to carefully steer you away from the real driver. The investigation is moved whenever possible away from women and girls, and none mentions smart phones.

Despite red-alert numbers for women, triple digit increases for young girls, the talking head steers the dialogue away from them, back to men:

The gender gap is narrowing for pretty much every group except Asians,” Curtain said. “But even though percentage-wise, the increases have been greater for women, for every race group the numbers are still highest for men.”

Read the following paragraph, and marvel at how carefully they’ve avoided saying “women and young girls”:

“Over this time, the CDC found that men are about four times likelier to commit suicide, and both Native Americans and whites are about two to three times more at risk than other groups. Children, also, are at about a third of the risk of adults. The suicide rate worsened in most categories by about 10 to 20 percent after 2008, with a lower rate of rise among black people, Asians and Pacific Islanders, and Latinos.

That’s rich, in that we learn in another story below “U.S. suicide rates up, especially among women, but down for black males.

Why does the U.S. government say “lower rate of rise among black people”, when the rate dropped 8% for black men during that time period? Cons, confidence games are subtle, and careful, and precise - that's a very specific tuning, to take away the Tell of "dropped, anomalously, among black men".

And, if bullying, social isolation, opioids and lack of proper mental health care are drivers of this phenomenon, as alleged in other articles, how did black men escape those pitfalls?

"The CDC report, based on county-level mortality data between 2000 and 2015, reveals first a slow rising trend and then a noticeable spike around 2008."

"Spike" is a ruse - it's a repellant, oft-used meme word that states that numbers have shot up, but have shot or will shoot right back down again, forming a "spike" on the graph. They haven't gone up, then down again...they're skyrocketing, and continuing to climb. It's always used this way: to lie, to hedge, to blunt, to defray.

The number of suicides increased among all racial groups except for black males, who saw an 8% decline in suicide rate from 10.5 to 9.7 per 100,000 between 1999 and 2014, respectively. The largest increases were among American Indians and Alaska Natives; in this group, the suicide rate climbed by 89% among women and 38% among men. Suicide rates among white women and white men increased by 60% and 28%, respectively.

Can you see how they held "white women" until the very, very, very last? That's called "burying it" in journalistic parlance.

The suicide rates for females increased 40% and 30% more, in those examples, than for men. What’s the driver, what’s the variable? Why weren’t black women mentioned? I looked it up – suicides increased 2.5% for black women. Why are they increasing for black women, but decreasing, signally, for black men? There's that female variable again. Screaming like a "dive" klaxon on a submarine.

It almost seems fruitless, trying to convince anyone of something so painfully obvious. A tripling among young girls? 30 and 40 percent higher increases among women, vs. men?

So I guess this is more for the record, than anything. Saying “at least I spoke up”.

April 22, 2016 - U.S. suicide rates up, especially among women, but down for black males

The number of suicides increased among all racial groups except for black males, who saw an 8% decline in suicide rate from 10.5 to 9.7 per 100,000 between 1999 and 2014, respectively. The largest increases were among American Indians and Alaska Natives; in this group, the suicide rate climbed by 89% among women and 38% among men. Suicide rates among white women and white men increased by 60% and 28%, respectively.

April 22, 2016 - White women also had a large increase of 60 percent in suicide rates from 1999 to 2014. White women accounted for 83 percent of the 9,660 women who committed suicide in 2014.

Black men were the only racial and gender group to lower their rate of suicide; it declined 8 percent between 1999 and 2014.

“The gender gap is narrowing for pretty much every group except Asians,” Curtain said. “But even though percentage-wise, the increases have been greater for women, for every race group the numbers are still highest for men.”

March 20, 2017 – Suicide rates on the rise in US, especially in rural areas, CDC reports

The CDC report, based on county-level mortality data between 2000 and 2015, reveals first a slow rising trend and then a noticeable spike around 2008. The researchers speculate that the financial crisis, which particularly devastated more rural communities, was a big part of the reason why, but other risks specific to rural areas include more poverty and social isolation, fewer mental health resources, and the prevalence of opioids.

March 27, 2017 – Suicides among female inmates have been on the rise, with 12 recorded last year – more than double than the number in 2015.

Nigel Newcomen says reforms proposed 10 years ago to prevent vulnerable women killing themselves were not implemented

April 7, 2017 - New report shows rising suicide rates among girls in the US

If you’re raising a daughter, here’s a statistic you need to know: in the past 15 years, suicide rates have tripled among young girls between ages ten and 14. Experts don’t know why the troubling trend is happening, but some say an earlier onset of puberty, a lack of resources, and societal expectations may all be factors.

Over this time, the CDC found that men are about four times likelier to commit suicide, and both Native Americans and whites are about two to three times more at risk than other groups. Children, also, are at about a third of the risk of adults. The suicide rate worsened in most categories by about 10 to 20 percent after 2008, with a lower rate of rise among black people, Asians and Pacific Islanders, and Latinos.

May 30, 2017 - Youth suicide rates are rising. School and the Internet may be to blame.

Kids' media getting 'more and more graphic'

Nelson, the doctor at Cincinnati Children’s, said he’s amazed at how much information youth has access to — some of which can be traumatizing. In addition to things like cyberbullying, he said, kids can now easily access information about how to hurt themselves. 

“The media that children are exposed to gets more and more sophisticated and more and more graphic and so kids get exposed to more and more things,” he said.

Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters has said his office wants to examine a computer that Gabriel owned for any clues to his suicide. 

Although the CDC says that the majority of young people report little to no involvement in electronic aggression, it is still an emerging public health problem

June 22, 2017
3:04 pm
Jeff

"I have already explained to you that what is out of the common is usually a guide rather than a hindrance. In solving a problem of this sort, the grand thing is to be able to reason backwards. That is a very useful accomplishment, and a very easy one, but people do not practice it much. In the everyday affairs of life it is more useful to reason forward, and so the other comes to be neglected. There are fifty who can reason synthetically to one who can reason analytically."

"I confess", said I, "that I do not quite follow you."

"I hardly expected that you would. Let me see if I can make it clearer. Most people, if you describe a train of events to them, will tell you what the result would be. They can put those events together in their minds, and argue from them that something will come to pass. There are few people, however, who, if you told them a result, would be able to evolve from their own inner consciousness what the steps were that led up to that result. This power is what I mean when I talk of reasoning backward, or analytically."

From "A Study in Scarlet", by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1881

The words “mystery”, “baffled” and “puzzled” are memes, used, among numerous similar variants, whenever anyone in the wholly-controlled-and-coopted Political, Academic, Scientific and Media establishments wants to lie about, well, basically anything. Two of those variants is “unsure” and "surprised".

That’s why one of the articles I’ve appended below reads “colorectal cancer rates, which had dropped steadily for people born between 1890 and 1950, have been increasing for every generation born since 1950. Experts aren’t sure why.

And why another reads "Surprising link between blood sugar and brain cancer found".

November 17, 2016 –Evaluation of Mobile Phone and Cordless Phone Use and Glioma Risk Using the Bradford Hill Viewpoints from 1965 on Association or Causation

Michael Carlberg and Lennart Hardell

Department of Oncology, Faculty of Medicine and Health, Örebro University, 701 82 Örebro, Sweden

5. Conclusion

The nine Bradford Hill viewpoints on association or causation regarding RF radiation and glioma risk seem to be fulfilled in this review. Based on that we conclude that glioma is caused by RF radiation. Revision of current guidelines for exposure to RF radiation is needed.

May 27, 2016 - Cell phone radiation increases cancers in rats; should we worry?

January 20, 2017 - Brain tumors are increasing in Denmark

Never before have so many new patients been diagnosed with a brain tumor in Denmark as in year 2015. The number of people diagnosed with tumors of the central nervous system (CNS, including brain tumors) in Denmark has more than doubled since 1990 according to new statistics and the largest increase has been in the last 10 years until 2015. Among young people aged 0-39 years, tumors in the CNS are the type of cancer that has increased the most.

According to the latest statistics from the Danish Cancer Registry that include new cancer cases diagnosed in 2015, an increasing number of people in Denmark are diagnosed with tumors of the central nervous system, CNS, including the brain, in recent years. The number of patients diagnosed per year with CNS tumors increased from the 827 in 1990 to 1807 in 2015.

(a 118% percent increase in 15 years - ed)

February 27, 2017 - No, Cellphones Don't Cause Cancer - Wired

February 28, 2017 – Cancers of the colon and rectum have been declining in older adults in recent decades and have always been considered rare in young people. But scientists are reporting a sharp rise in colorectal cancers in adults as young as their 20s and 30s, an ominous trend.

The vast majority of colorectal cancers are still found in older people, with nearly 90 percent of all cases diagnosed in people over 50. But a new study from the American Cancer Society that analyzed cancer incidence by birth year found that colorectal cancer rates, which had dropped steadily for people born between 1890 and 1950, have been increasing for every generation born since 1950. Experts aren’t sure why.

(The phone in the back pocket...I'm embarrassed to actually have to point that out - ed)

March 3, 2017 - California government buried the truth about cell phone radiation

The document says that “long-term cell phone use may increase the risk of brain cancer and other health problems”

May 3, 2017 -  Surprising link between blood sugar and brain cancer found 

May 8, 2017 - Long-term cell phone use increases brain tumor risk

According to a recent CDC survey, for the first time more American households have cell phones than land lines. Meanwhile the evidence keeps accruing that long term cell phone use appears to increase brain cancer risk. 

In the U.S. the lifetime risk of developing glioma, the most common brain cancer, is between 1 in 200 and 1 in 250. If glioma risk doubled after 20 years of cell phone use (as the research cited below suggests), the lifetime risk would be between 1 in 100 and 1 in 125.

Three reviews of the research on cell phone use and brain tumor risk have been published in peer-reviewed journals in 2017. Each of these studies reports a statistically significant relationship between cell phone use of ten or more years and brain tumor risk especially on the side of the head where the cell phone was predominantly placed during phone calls (i.e., ipsilateral use).

June 22, 2017
3:32 pm
Jeff

"Oh, sir, do you not think you could help me too, and at least throw a little light through the dense darkness that surrounds me? At present it is out of my power to reward you for your services, but in a month or two I shall be married, with the control of my own income, and then at least you shall not find me ungrateful."

Holmes turned to his desk, and unlocking it, drew out a small case-book which he consulted.

"Farintosh," said he. "Ah, yes, I recall the case; it was concerned with an opal tiara. I think it was before your time, Watson. I can only say, madam, that I shall be happy to devote the same care to your case as I did to that of your friend. As to reward, my profession is its reward; but you are at liberty to defray whatever expenses I may be put to, at the time which suits you best. And now I get that you will lay before us everything that may help us in forming an opinion upon the matter."

From "The Adventure of the Speckled Band", by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1883

Forum Timezone: UTC 0

Most Users Ever Online: 208

Currently Online:
14 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Jeff: 1774

Silvius: 668

Anonymous: 582

Mrs O: 552

Egoli.buster: 486

louis onder: 455

EricCarlsen1: 424

Carlos Silva: 350

Owuor Chris: 348

Dancan: 340

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 7

Members: 313

Moderators: 0

Admins: 6

Forum Stats:

Groups: 5

Forums: 14

Topics: 5280

Newest Members: Lakshmi, Daniel Gervais, Marjo Hopeakivi, Nancy J, Lydiane, Angel Cross, Steve H, Orgoniteireland, ReNature

Administrators: azt1magnetiko: 5, Don Croft: 3869, fran: 242, dooney: 116, Azti Magnetiko: 188, Cassandria: 36